Sunday, November 26, 2006

Two Things You Can't Win At: Tattoos & Jewelry.

I don't have a tattoo and I don't wear jewelry. So I'm "tied" in this competition. Tied with every other person running around wearing no jewelry and sporting no tattoos. No one can beat me, with less than zero of either. So I never waste any time comparing my lack of either with others who lack both. We just nod at each other and move along.

I'm reminded of this fact every valentine's day and every x-mas season. No one is advertising on TV for tattoos, but jewelry gets a big play this time of year and at valentine's day. Basically the idea that is promoted is that if you buy a woman a diamond, or diamonds, it will enhance the quality of life of all concerned.

But people who wear jewelry, including piercings, (and people who get tattoos) all have to wonder how what they're sporting stacks up against what other people are sporting. "What is my (__fill_in_blank__) saying about me?" Or, "Does my (__fill_in_blank__) make me look 'better' than everyone else?"

Why jewelry still sells is beyond me. Jewelry is the past. Electronics is the future. Jewelry only does one thing: it hangs on a person and says, "Look, money has been spent to make you look at me." Same for tattoos.

If memory serves me correctly, a 'decent' engagement ring, one with a big enough stone so that the poor woman can hold her head high in polite society, costs around $3,000. So does the biggest, baddest Quad-core Mac Pro. If you are a guy, and the woman you want to marry would rather have the diamond on her ring over a quad-core Mac Pro in the study, you need to start the search over again. And if you're a woman and there's a guy who wants you to share his life with him, and je wants to put a ring on your finger over giving you your own Quad-core Mac Pro, keep looking, woman.

6 comments:

Waltzing Matilda said...

Macs suck.

Nessa said...

Wow, they must really be worth the money than.

Nessa said...

"then"

Bert Bananas said...

Than, then, zen ...

If money were no object, you'd get a Mac and run Windows on it, for those few programs that you can't give up.

Nessa said...

My comment refered to the comment above mine; D

I've always wanted a Mac. Can I trade my perfectly good Dell for credit on a Mac?

Bert Bananas said...

Ms. Nibbles, I realized what the second comment was, but I can never stop myself (I don't even try!) from playing with people and words, but not necessarily in that order.

Regarding the Mac, AliasMoi may not know how spectular the Macs have become since Apple switched from PowerPC chips to Intel Chips. And don't even get me started on the operating system. I have an old Mac Mini at home and it has NEVER crashed! NEVER!!!

But I haven't been able to set aside enough money to get a $3,000 Mac Pro... Dang tuition. The 21 and the 17 year old are going to have an overlapping year of college, so I won't be getting a Mac Pro next year either.

(what do you want to bet the 21 year old opts for graduate school?)