Monday, April 07, 2008

Role Modeling in Abstract Clay

I borrowed these photos from a friend's blog. The kids are way cute, but still I thought it best to obscure their identities.

The second thing I thought about after looking at these photos of my friend's niece & nephew (the first thought being, "I wonder if their mom fools around?") was, "Hey! Look at the genderfication!"

He's all manly and she's all demure.

I'm betting the photographer suggested the poses and the parents, or whomever was present representing their interests (wouldn't it be wild if Hillary Clinton won the election and every minor child was assigned a Federal Child Welfare & What's Good For You Department attorney to help guide each and every kid through life's shoals?) and got immediate agreement.

I know my friend was there, because she posted photos of her own baby, the adorable 'Mando,' and I sure hope she had a reservation or two pass through her mind as the poses were arranged.

My kids have never struck poses based on what society supposedly expected of them. Calvin & Hobbs was our guideline back then. We all remain to this day CalvinHobbsians.

Parents, don't make your sons grow up to be captains of industry or Presidential candidates. And for goodness sakes don't let your daughters grow up thinking that only their flesh matters.

Strike a blow for liberty and buy your boy a bonnet!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our school photographer barely gave us time to sit before the picture was snapped. First - Fifth grade - my eyes were closed in all pictures.

paperback reader said...

My folks dressed baby me up as a sailor for my awkwardly posed pictures, probably because they were hoping I'd spend most of my life far, far away from them.

Anonymous said...

Boit - a family I know lets their 5 year old son wear high heals - "because he wants to." I asked what happens when he wants a nice hand bag to go with his heals - they said they'll buy him one.

And look at my pictures of Spawn and Hussy on my blog. My kid never cooperates with having his picture taken - let alone posing him. Geeze!

Leonesse said...

I can't get pics of mine. They refuse. Not even senior pics. Jerks.

katrocket said...

What's extra weird, is that these are also genderfied poses from the 1950s.

Waltzing Matilda said...

Leonese - when I did Spawn's senior pics I wasted an entire gig of memory card to get ONE shot of him not making a stupid face.

I recently went though pretty much the same crap to get an updated picture of him just this week. Then, he complains that I have more pictures of my niece than I do of "your only son!"