Wednesday, February 14, 2007

60 is the new 59...

There's this theory about human needs, the Maslow Hierarchy. When first read, the usual reaction is, "Well, duh!"

All Maslow did was list human needs.

1. Oxygen, water, food
2. Shelter, weapons of protection, a place to keep food and water safe
3. Love, affection, belongingness
4. Self-esteem and the esteem, respect of others

5. When all the above are being satisfied, the final need arises: self-actualization, the achievement of what you were born to do. (That is, if there was something you were born to do. I was born to be alive, and because needs 1 through 4 are being met, I am free to be alive being alive.)

There are ever so many people who have 1 through 4 totally knocked, and haven't a clue about how to 'self-actualize.' In a simpler world, bringing in a harvest, or churning butter or taking five hours to do laundry was more than enough self-actualization. Today, fulfilling Maslow's final need is beyond the ability of 73.4% of American citizens over the age of 37.8.

And so too many 38 to 65 year olds think that looking younger than their calendar age is a worth 'achievement.' If getting laid were important (and it is, but not just because you're worth a 'notch' in the old bed post) then looking young would be important.

All I'm saying is that it's time you wrote that blog, song, poem, treatise, novel, script, ransom note, constitution, summons & complaint (or cross-complaint) that's been percolating down inside the lizard portion of your brain.

And if you do, remember to mention me in your dedication.

6 comments:

Nessa said...

I guess if your self actualization is based on whether other people are looking at you, you need to look younger. And of course, so many people need that kind of attention to feel alive.

Chris the Hippie said...

I'd like to write a book someday... I just need a subject is all.

I work as a graphic designer. I've been in myriad local rock/blues bands. I write stuff. I'm a photographer. I have TONS of creative outlets, many ways to express myself... I just don't have anything to say.

Bert Bananas said...

Ms. Nibbles, this is why Anna Nicole's death is such a tragedy. She had yet to find new ways to arch her back and display her bosom, but now we'll never see those poses. Tragedy just isn't a strong enough word --sob--.

Chris! You're too busy doing to do any saying!

Mary Lois said...

(Oscar receiving speech: "I'd like to thank most of all my inspiration Bert Bananas of California, who first taught me Maslow's laws and the need for getting notches on the bedpost...without the self-actualized guidance of this comic genius I might still be toiling in the drudgery of the workaday world and not be here to obtain this beautiful sculpture, if that's what it is. Thank you, Bananaman!") P.S. -- another blog post for you, what about those who say they want to thank God when they get up there??? Sheesh!

paperback reader said...

I want you to have to sit through all the terrible one-man shows about the "artists'" parents that would fill this country like a biblical plague if this advice is heeded.

Bert Bananas said...

"Moist!"

"Moist!"

"Moist!"

Followed at 9:00 p.m. PST by 2-1/2 Testosterones. Or five testicles?