Monday, December 24, 2007

It's Almost X-Mess !!

It's almost 9:00 p.m., PDT, on X-Mess Eve. My brain chemistry resists depression. I have the opposite of clinical depression. Lucky me.

The winter solstice is sort of a metaphor for getting over X-Mess; after the solstice the days start to get longer. Longer days stands for coming out from the darkness that are "The Holidays."

I'm not against enjoying myself, and having those around me enjoy themselves. I'm just against being told HOW and WHEN we're all supposed to enjoy ourselves. Even if you loved sushi, wouldn't you feel weird if Christmas Dinner consisted of a grand sushi/sashimi feast? Your cultural instinct would create an aura of inappropriateness.

Cultural imperatives seek to define us. Think about defining yourself.

As the days get longer, may your time in the sunshine be entertaining.

(And yes, the summer solstice (for the Northern Hemi-Engine-sphere) should be greeted with a bit of sadness for the next six months of lessening golf time.)

3 comments:

Leonesse said...

Amen, father lazthiest.

paperback reader said...

I'd agree with you, if only my spiritual well-being weren't so pegged to Arbor Day.

Jana said...

Tradition be darned, we'll eat sushi if we want to - but only if someone holds a gun to our heads and demands we eat it... ewwww.
Otherwise, we're happy to break all family and cultural traditions and constant demands from the business realm - we do NOTHING for the end of the year celebrations, except...nope, we do nothing.
Welcome back Bert, it's been very quiet without you.