Sunday, September 03, 2006

My Poker Virginity went up in Flames

Or, I went all in for $77 and lost.

I was invited to play in a Texas Hold'em tournament. I've watched Texas Hold'em on TV because it's unscripted. They have to bleep the players when then let loose with F-bombs and BS grenades. Like anything involving humans and rules, there is fun to be had.

It was no big deal. It was just a $20 buy in. This guy set up two tables, put out some coolers and ice, a few snacks and that was it. There were 18 people invited, so there was $360 up for grabs, with the top three spliting them money 70-20-10. When I went out it left 5 players. I only lasted that long because I played ultra-conservatively. I had $77 in chips in front of me when I called the chip leader's 'all in' bet because I was certain he was bluffing. He wasn 't.

I probably won't ever play Texas Hold'em again. As a waste of time, not to mention money, it can't hold a candle to golf. Plus, there were smokers there. I reeked of smoke when I got home. I understand the addictive power of nicotine. So I know you just can't quit, even though anyone with the ability to reason knows smoking sucks. I've never smoked marijuana, but if people are going to be allowed to puff noxious chemicals into their lungs, marijuana is probably a better choice.

While on the topic of vices, mine is vanilla ice cream and Hershey's chocolate sauce. Oh yeah, and golf...

No comments: